Saturday, July 2, 2011

Quatre Cent Trois Jours a Sceaux (403 Days in Sceaux)

It has been over a month since I last reported to you, I have been very busy with travel and with work, leaving little energy for recreational activities. My guitars have gotten dusty as well. With the cancellation of my trips to Brazil and to Houston for the end of June and early July, I have gained a few days of normalcy here in France. And thusly, I begin today's blog.

I did something today that I have not done since I've been here. My bakery of choice underwent renovation late last fall. It was completely remodeled, new owners, and the outcome was a more modern facility. It was more of an integrated facility, not just having pastries and breads, but also having a small coffee shop, and tables in the front whereby patrons might take a cup of coffee or even eat a sandwich purchased from within. I had bought sandwiches there before, making a lunch out of it in the park. Today, I stepped out of character a bit and actually sat down and had a cup of coffee. And, as it was close to lunch, I also selected a sandwich and brought it to my table as well. It was the first time I sat down in a public meeting place and had a meal by myself. I did a little people watching, though people watching in Sceaux is not as interesting or fascinating as people watching on the Champs Elysées, it was nonetheless a welcome pause. Oh yes, the coffee and sandwich were good.

In early June I took a business trip to Houston. It was great to be home again and visit with family. My dog and I ran every day, and I let my sister-in-law to run her first 4 mile run. I also got to enjoy my daughter's new swimming pool, and of course the beautiful grandchildren she has provided. Work was intense, very long days, that was good to see so many familiar faces again. Even though I was officially in Houston for 13 days, it seemed to go by very quickly, and soon I was back on the airplane heading to France.

Three short days after my arrival in France, I flew to Saudi Arabia. This is my first trip to Saudi, and I must say I was treated well at every point of service. Make no mistake, this is a kingdom ruled by Islamic decree, which means that even an international hotels one will not find a drop of alcohol. The thing that surprised me the most was not the heat, I expected the heat. We are actually considered in early summer in the month of June, the sweltering heat does not come until August and September. I ran while I was there, as is my custom, but the wind and the sand in the air limited my mileage considerably. The wind easily lifts the calcareous sand and creates a haze that lasts throughout the day. That same gritty haze gets into one's lungs as one is running, though not noticeable except for the rawness one begins to feel in the throat. The sandy haze, when coupled with the heat, limited my run to 3 miles (5 km).

After a series of client meetings over three very busy days, I flew into Kuwait. I had flown through Kuwait before, but have never stopped and stayed overnight until this trip. Again, I was greeted with pleasant and cordial hospitality everywhere I went. I was excited to get up and run the next morning, because it was clear (no sand in the air) and I could run right along the coast of the Persian Gulf. I know that one has to get up early to run, as this was my lesson back in April when I was in Qatar. I went out at six o'clock in the morning to running Kuwait, and it was already 95°F (that is 34°C). Again, my run was limited to 3 miles before I begin to feel the effects of dehydration. Nothing serious, mind you, but when you feel it coming, it is best to play it safe. Later that day, the temperature hit 117°F (47°C), and the sand darkened the afternoon sky. My meetings went well in Kuwait, and as a result I will be returning there in mid to late October to conduct a workshop.

I took a flight at one o'clock in the morning to return to Paris, knowing that I would have to land and get to the office as soon as possible. I needed to get to the office to deliver my passport so that we could secure the visa for Brazil, a trip I would be taking four days hence. Unfortunately, I was not able to get the necessary visa and my trip to Brazil, which would've been my first, was canceled, as was the subsequent trip to Houston. All is not lost, there is much work to be done here in France, an opportunity to get my running program normal again, in time to stay in one time zone until I leave for Malaysia and Australia on July 17.

I was able to reach a milestone here the second quarter of 2011 with respect to my running. Certainly the pleasant weather in France makes it easier to get up and run in the morning, but I also put in some miles in the Middle East as well as Houston. All of them together combined for 150 miles (240 km) for the months of April, May, and June. This brings my total mileage for 2011 up to 250 miles (400 km). I have never run such distances in all my life. Some might think I am obsessive about my running, but the running provides the motivation for me to get out of a very quiet apartment (or hotel room) and never requires the mental stress of trying to communicate in French. And please do not think that the French are really difficult about my lack of language skills, though they are improving, on the contrary, they have been very helpful and understanding. But it is a stressful encounter nonetheless, just wrestling with my own mental gymnastics in trying to articulate what I need to say and to process what they are saying. Running gets me out into the culture without the strain of engagement. Besides, it's healthy for me.

After my trips to Malaysia and Australia, I get to take some vacation. I'm going back to Houston August for three weeks of vacation. I just want to hang out, as traveling is pretty much what I do for a living right now. There's some yard work that needs to be done in Houston, there is little boy who likes to play guitar with his pappaw, there is a dog who loves to run, and there is a family to enjoy.

I will update you from the road, but when I go on vacation, like I told my boss, I'm on vacation.

Thanks for coming along, thank you for your encouraging words, a bientot.

No comments:

Post a Comment