Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Quatre Cent Treize Jours a Sceaux (413 days in Sceaux)

Sometimes being here in France is mundane.

This week was little more than long hours of work, followed by short hours at home. Mind you, I know that is the way most of us live most of the time. It is no different here. My biggest issue this week was that I could not run. I have developed a callous under the fifth metatarsal of my right foot, which is causing some pain. As a result, I had to minimize my excursions out of the apartment, which means I listened to a lot of music, which is seldom bad, and watch a lot of movies, which is not as entertaining to me as you might think. But they do help me deal with the austere boredom I would have otherwise. This weekend I watched the following movies: "Gladiator", "Dirty Harry", "Joe Kidd", and "Cat Ballou". An eclectic mix, for sure, but that kept things from getting too boring.

I was also able to do some "serious" guitar practice. By "serious", I mean I pulled out the instructional DVDs for my blues guitar playing, and pulled out the Carcassi studies for my classical guitar playing. I must say, both were enjoyable sessions, not something I always have the time to do (believe it or not). I even studied a little French this weekend, a skill at which I am improving little by little. My French teacher at work and I spend at least 90% of the hour now speaking in French. The other 10% of the time I have a really stupid look on my face and cannot understand anything.

Everything got washed this weekend, even the sheets of the bed. I also finally got the toilet cleaned, having lived with it stains of previous renters for a year, I finally pulled out the tried-and-true cleaner of all things: bleach. I poured a half a gallon of bleach into the toilet before I left for work, and when I came back 12 hours later, it was clean. I was completely victorious. Bleach, when it has to be positively and absolutely cleaned right now.

The running is good for my mental health, something perhaps I had underestimated until this weekend. I am being wise about my "injury", and resting until the pain goes away, but it is not easy. I wanted to make the Eiffel Tower run this weekend, but I will not be able to do so. The Eiffel Tower run involves making my traditional Pont Neuf run, taking a right, and following the left bank of the Seine River down to the Eiffel Tower. It is almost half a marathon. I will wait until I'm healed.

I'm sorry this was less than exciting, but it was a rather ordinary week, and we do have those in France. Thank you for coming along, and joining in my journey.

A bientot,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment