Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sceaux, the 100-seventy-second Day

I finally conceded. I tried. I cooked them on high heat; I cooked them on low heat; I cooked them on medium heat; I cooked them with butter; I cooked them with vegetable oil; and in all of these variations and combinations I failed. I failed to cook an egg that would not stick to my very modern stainless steel pan. I am certainly the egg preparer in my household. I can make them scrambled, I can make them over-easy, I can make them poached, I can make them sunny side up, I can make an omelette that will make you forget any restaurant omelette. My pan of choice over the years has been a trusty iron skillet, or a Teflon coated omelette pan. With the cookware that I brought from the United States, new and modern though it may be, the eggs stick, and they stick hard.

Off I went to the local grocery store, which also sells cookware and clothing and other things. I was hoping to find an iron skillet; I figured the French were such purists that it would be an obvious solution. I was wrong. The French, too, have gone the way of Teflon. This is not entirely bad, because a Teflon skillet is much easier for which to care than an iron skillet. This morning I felt like I had my egg cooking chops back. Eggs over easy (in the South, we just call them "fried"), served with a few thin slices of sausage on the side. I usually have a very healthy cereal, with multiple grains, some dried fruit, plenty of vitamins and other minerals, and of course milk. A guy my age has to eat like that, in order to keep everything working properly. But there is no crime, and there is no harm, and having a good old Southern fried breakfast every now and again. I think I will make an omelette tomorrow, using one of the French cheeses (why not two or three of them?) that I have in my refrigerator.

Today it's a blustery day, rain and high winds. It is a good day for reading, playing guitar, and blogging...

a bientot,

Mark

PS: A funny story I have to share...


I do my laundry and I have these two very nice Calvin Klein black t-shirts.  I thought I was buying two boxes of 3 for $36 each...but I was only buying 2 boxes of 1 t-shirt each (this is too-close-to-Paris-France).  OK, they are nice, but come on!  So I gather the laundry, and I notice only one went into the washing.  I say, "OK, must be folded or hanging somewhere."  I wash the clothes, they dry; I go to put things away, start looking for the second shirt...pull out EVERYTHING...re-fold EVERYTHING...re-organize EVERYTHING...walk around to all the other closets...no 2nd $36 CK black t-shirt.

Finally I give up...

it is not anywhere...










 
except on my body.

1 comment:

  1. LOL@ shirt on body. I have done that as well!

    I miss my cast iron skillet that I gave up in order to get my new cooktop. Definitely missed....

    Not sure if you have tried it yet, but I have a VERY SMALL teflon pan that I use to make fried eggs in. Only one egg fits in the pan, and the only way it works for me is to place it on the stove empty, put the burner on 6 (med high?), wait 2 minutes then swab the bottom of the pan with the end of a stick of butter. Then I crack and egg into the tiny pan, sprinkle some sea salt and ground pepper on top, then cover with a saucer. I use a pot holder to remove the saucer a minute or so later, then flip the egg over just to barely cook the other side. This is the only way I have been able to cook eggs without them sticking to the pan since giving up my cast iron...

    ReplyDelete