Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cent-Soixante-Six Jours dans Sceaux (166 Days in Sceaux)

Today, I worshiped in a French Baptist Church.  Everything was done in French, just as we would expect everything to be done in English back in the States, unless the church's name suggested otherwise.  It was a good service, and the preacher used PowerPoint to post the points of his sermons.  Good news: I could read and understand the PowerPoint slides.  Bad news: I could not understand what he was saying about them.  Oh well, "pas de problem" (not a problem).  Good news: the singing of songs is very, very nice in  French.  I could make out some of the words, the tunes were different, so my guess is these were hymns and praises that were culturally French.  After church, I was greeted by some of the members and I spoke a little of my broken French, explaining where I lived, worked, and that yes, I would be back next Sunday.  The pastor speaks a little English, so we should work out OK.  We will meet the week after next to talk about ministry opportunities.

I get to church by walking, and it is a 35-40 minute walk, mostly through Parc de Sceaux.  There were so many people jogging on this Sunday morning it was like a traffic jam!  I had not seen this many runners since Mick and I jogged the AHA event some years ago in downtown Houston.  The key to French thinness: small portions and cycling/running.  Actually works if you are not French, too.  Considering the population of this area is only about 50,000, it seems a rather large percentage are jogging, walking, or cycling -- you cannot do it alone unless you get up before the crack of dawn like I do.

Here are some pictures from this morning:






I hope yours is a great day!

a bientot,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment