Saturday, November 6, 2010

165th day from Sceaux

The autumn has two phases, the first phase is that of brilliance and the second phase is that of dullness. Brilliance, that time when the sun is still high in the sky and unhindered by clouds, and the forest displays a palette of warm colors contrasting the emerald green grasses below. Dullness, that time when the clouds obscure the sun and blue skies, all colors are absent from the forest, and a sense of dreariness overcomes the land. Right now, I stand between the two here in France; are is a link to my photos from today.

I know most of my readers experience four seasons throughout the year. This transition is common for them, they may not like it, but it is, nonetheless. Houston has 300 days of sunshine a year, and I grew accustomed to its warmth over the last 18 years. I know what is coming here, because I grew up in a state that experiences four seasons: Kentucky. Somehow, it is different for me now. I have to figure out how I'm going to beat the weather situation. I need to learn to run when weather, temperature, and moisture are working against me. It is yet another challenge.

The adventure yet continues, as I made my first business trip to the South of France. I was in the city of Montpellier, which boasts the oldest medical school in Europe, and is home to nearly 100,000 students. It is considered a university town, but there are plenty of sites to enjoy in its historic quarters (I walk past a church built in the 13th century on my way to dinner one night), and its close proximity to the Mediterranean adds enticement. Fortunately, I was not able to complete my business on this trip, and will have to return.

I took a long weekend to Romania last week, to renew old friendships and to minister among the believers in Campina. I actually had a day off on Saturday, my first in over 200 days spent in Romania. Bowling is a new sport in Romania, and I was taken to a new bowling alley, complete with bowling balls in a variety of colors, electronic scorekeepers, and black lights. There is a really good reason I have not bowled in 20 years, and that reason was reinforced on that Saturday afternoon. I must say, however, that it was the company and not the bowling that made the afternoon so enjoyable. I preached on Sunday morning to the church in Campina, and that evening I preached an evangelistic service at the cultural house. About six people raised their hands indicating they wish to pray to receive Christ, and the churches sponsoring the event will follow up.

The Baptist Church in Campina, and its pastor and his family, have blessed my life and so many ways, and I must say, the timing of this opportunity to visit was literally a God-send. Attending the English-speaking church in Versailles has been difficult, taking up to five hours to attend a one-hour service. This is exhausting, yet I know the need for every believer to have fellowship with the family of faith, and I am no different. This weekend I will visit a French-speaking Baptist Church near my apartment; near my apartment being 3 km away. I should be able to walk this distance in about 40 minutes, which is our preferred to the two hours it would take me to get to the church in Versailles. The believers in Versailles have been very welcoming to me, and I really appreciate their open arms. But with such transportation challenges, it is impossible for me to serve and to regularly participate in the events of the church. Nor do I believe that I am here in France strictly on Schlumberger's purpose. I know the Lord uses our vocations to place us where he wants us to serve, and I have been seeking a place of service, as well as a community of believers with whom I can fellowship. Tomorrow will reveal a lot to me in this respect.

The French people are already preparing for Christmas, with Charles de Gaulle airport already sporting Christmas decorations before the end of October. I am really looking forward to this season with them. I look forward to seeing the decorations, the life not only in Paris, but also in the suburbs, and also to see what recognition to Christ is given. This is a mission field, there is no doubt, and as the Lord wills, I shall harvest in it.

On a less serious side of things, I went to the grocery today and actually bought some cheese. I kept it simple, and stuck with my favorites, not seeking adventure at this point. They have a section in the grocery store dedicated to Old El Paso products. Today was the first time I saw the hot salsa available, so I bought two jars. I never thought I would be so happy to embrace the Old El Paso products, as I usually ignore them completely in Texas. It was good to sample some spice from Southwest again, and it made home feel not so far away.

I had my first long run in almost 2 weeks, resting from a cold, and allowing a toe injury to heal. I ran well today, with good speed and consistent pace throughout. I'm not a fast runner, nor do I consider myself a good runner, but I do enjoy it now, and it has become like a companion to me. It is my least stressful time in France, and I can experience France and its beauty, and not worry about making myself understood. One of the things I hate about the rain is that it keeps me from running, and I feel more alone when that happens. I'm still working toward my running goals, though they seem ambitious with the coming change of weather. I will continue on, and push myself to greater distance when it makes sense.

One thing I'm hoping my experience at the French Baptist Church will bring is a casual and friendly immersion into the language. Trying to make yourself understood when you are purchasing items is not a good time for a French lesson. People are not interested in you practicing with them, as there are other customers in line, and their stress level is high because you do not understand them. I do not fault them, or blame them. But I hope to encounter some English-speaking French people at the church, and in the course of our fellowship, my own language skills will improve. This will certainly make life here much less stressful. I do enjoy being here among these people, certainly the people in the suburbs exhibit a healthy and slower paced way of life than one sees in Paris.

Thank you for coming along, I do appreciate you sharing this adventure with me.

Until next time,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment