Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Persian Gulf

I woke to my first morning on the Persian Gulf. I am in Bahrain, a small island kingdom in the Persian Gulf connected to the mainland by a bridge to Saudi Arabia. It is my understanding that Bahrain is the Las Vegas of the Middle East -- alcohol is sold openly here, unlike most of the Arab world. Hence, this is where the Arabs go to party.

I am here for a geoscience conference concerning all aspects of energy development in the Middle East. In my new role, I need to expand my horizons of understanding so that I might be better informed of both challenges and opportunities for my domain.

Getting here, whew! Twenty-five hours elapsed from the time I left my house until I got into my hotel room. Fortunately, I did sleep on the plane; maybe "passed out" is a better way to describe it. I am trying to avoid taking all the "tricks" of travel: Tylenol PM, Benadryl, Dramamine, Melatonin, etc. I have used them all at one point or another with limited success. They all have their side effects, short term though they may be, so I will try to train my body to react to sunshine, basically.

Some people react to my travel with "Wow, you get to got to all these places". I am not a tourist. Most of my time is spent in a conference room or a meeting hall. I do not linger extra days on the company's dime to go sightseeing. My experiences are not shared (as in their physical presence) with the people I love, especially my wife. I also fight jet lag. My sleep was just recovering from my trip to Japan when I had to leave for this trip. In short, there is less romance and adventure in business travel than meets the eye.

Still, the brief brushes with culture and seeing other skylines has its moments, even in solitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment