Thursday, March 11, 2010

Sitting in GulfAir's BAH lounge...

...waiting for my flight to leave -- in about 6 hours. What?!??! You thought I was leaving yesterday? Well, a-hem, uh, hrmph, ah...so did I. Things get confusing very quickly at airports when you show up on the wrong day. Fortunately for me, it was a day early and not a day late!

OK, so what, right? Well, I had checked out of my hotel. A day early (It thought I made a mistake about its booking). The F1 Grand Prix is in town this weekend. I was panicked! I quickly called the hotel to see if my room was available (after all, I had only checked out 20 minutes earlier). It was not. They did find a room at a slightly higher price so I took it.

I got to the hotel, and fortunately a manager was at the desk. He suggested, "Just re-instate him". With that, and the release of my room by housekeeping, I was able to get my room back at the original rates! Whew! Dodged a bullet on that one!

Well, now I had a full 24 hours of nothing to do. Check e-mails. Done. Watch "Outlaw Josie Wales" (I brought it with me). Not Done. Too tired to finish. Actually got seven hours of sleep. Great. When for a morning interval run of 3 miles. Done. Great. Got in 14 miles of roadwork this week (roadwork is defined by me as being the sum total of running and walking for exercise). It may be an old fatboy definition, but I'll take it.

Meanwhile, I show up at the airport today. GulfAir has a beautiful check-in place for 1st class/ business travelers. You walk in and sit at a desk with the GulfAir person. Relax. One bag? Yes, all the way to IAH. "Yes sir". "Here is your pass to our lounge. Have a pleasant flight." Which brings us up to now...

No comments:

Post a Comment