Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 88 from Sceaux

Whew!  It has been an eventful week!

On Monday, as I noted on FB, I finally had enough "meubles de cuisine" (kitchen "furniture") to move everything out of boxes and hallways and into what would be considered a civilized storage space.  The last of the moving cartons went to trash.  This occurred 109 days after our furniture was packed and moved, and on the 82nd day of being in the apartment.  Of course, the move would have been completed weeks ago had it not been for the fact that all you get with a kitchen in France is the sink -- you must furnish everything else.

I have one more cabinet coming, just to add a little needed capacity and counter space, then I will post pictures.  None of the cabinets hang on the wall, as the walls are concrete and I would have had to hire someone, which would have no doubt delayed the completion until December.  But with the last cabinet in particular (it will allow me to move the microwave OFF the washer/dryer top), it will be enough for me.

I have hung all the pictures we brought, but there is room for a few more.  I think I will get with my admin at work and locate someone who can take some of my Hole in the Wall photos and mount them, especially the panorama shots I have put together.

The sun is shining today, the 2nd day in the last two weeks to be have sun.  It has been cool and rainy, and this is unusual for me in August (to quote Kenny Downer, "We have two seasons in Houston, Summer and August").  I am told that this part of Europe can go a whole summer without much sunshine (this probably explains the mad vacation rush to the south each August), but that September is perfect.  We'll see.

I did my first global webcast this week, and the technology actually worked.  Of course, I applied the KISS principle, which does not always guarantee success, but it does reduce the number of elements that could fail.  The bad thing about these things is it is impossible to get significant instant feedback (though there are controls for feedback, it is just, as a speaker, you cannot be watching the controls, reacting to them, and giving a coherent presentation at the same time), so it is hard to judge how it went.  The number of participants held throughout the presentation, but people could have had their phones on mute and playing video games for all I know.  Those that asked questions, asked very good questions, and their comments were quite good as well.

Today, I guess because of missing some sleep this week, I missed my running window.  I had thought about riding into Paris today (on my bike), but I don't know.  Need to make a trip into market today, then I think I'll...

No comments:

Post a Comment