Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Trois Cent Soixante Cinq Jours a Sceaux (365 Days in Sceaux)

Today marks one year since I moved into my apartment in Sceaux, France. Let's recap a bit on expectations:

French language: I like languages, and I have learned a lot of French, but not enough to converse. Well, probably enough to converse from my side, but I am surprised at how difficult it has been to pick up the language by ear (understanding what people are saying), as it is not phonetic (like English). I am below my expectations here.

French people: Guarded at first, for the most part, but very friendly when you are welcomed into their circle, which can occur just by being a regular customer at a shop. They are very pro-American, as noticed in various tributes and monuments, but they are not afraid to disagree with their friends. The French people are also physically very active, as parks and greenbelts are in constant use by walkers, runners, bikers, etc. Expectations exceeded.

French transportation: We have had a couple of strikes, but they are always announced and there are simple workarounds. Buses, the Metro, trains do run on time, and any taxi I have used relies on GPS for navigation. The TGV (Train Grande Vitesse: High Speed Train) system is great for getting out into the countryside, and the French make good use of the Internet for making reservations, booking rental cars and hotels at your destination; also flags which trains are available for bringing your bike. Expectations exceeded.

French market in Sceaux: classic!

French food: I do not eat out except at company-sponsored events, and the occasional lunch away from the office. I will not score the French based on my cooking. :-)

French cheese: Cheese is the "strongest" part of French culture, and I have come to appreciate the classic cheese plate (at least 3 different types and textures of cheese). There are, apparently, at least a different type of cheese for each day of the year -- minimum of 365 cheeses in this country! Most French people, however, have sampled less than 20 types (my count stands at 30).

France's regions: I like the south, especially the department (state) Pyrenees Orientale (East of the Pyrenees Mountains); which is also the Catalan region of France. I enjoy the culture altogether there.

I appreciate you coming along on this journey, which will likely continue another year (though such things are never certain), and hope you enjoy my snapshots of life in France.

a bientot,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment