Sunday, March 27, 2011

Trois Cent Six Jours Dans Sceaux (306 Days in Sceaux)

Oh my! What a beautiful week we had! The clouds came back for the weekend, but it was a cloudless week, nonetheless! It is amazing what a good dose of sunshine can do for one's outlook (not the program, Outlook, that requires much more help).

I took a "test flight" with my colleague at work who owns a plane. He had just gotten the plane back from its annual maintenance, and wanted to see how well it performed, especially since it was a cloudless day. Besides, he said, it is better to crash in daylight...(a little British flying humor; very little!). It was a great time, and having flown with him before, I noticed the added pep and responsiveness of the plane, too.

I finally got the heating fixed in the apartment, just in time for spring. When the heating technician came 3 weeks ago, he discovered I needed about 50% m0re capacity from my units. We doubled the size of one of the units in the main room, and took the removed unit and moved it to the kitchen, and then threw the kitchen unit out. Now you can feel the chill being knocked off immediately. I hope for one more descent to freezing to test it, but I will be ready for next year!

The team that came to do the replacements came on time, were very friendly, encountered an unexpected issue (and with my drill resolved it), and finished on time, even sweeping the floors before they left. Overall, a very good service experience without any hassle whatsoever.

I went into the marche' de Sceaux on Saturday, around noon. I had already picked up a few items at Monoprix on the other side of town, using my backpack to carry them. I went to my favorite bread shop, and got my bread for the week and a sandwich. I finished the rest of my stops in the marche' and decided it was too nice a day to eat the sandwich on the go or back at the apartment. So, when I got to the end of the marche', I kept walking to the entrance to the Parc de Sceaux, found myself a bench, and enjoyed the sun, the view, and the sandwich. Tres jolie!

Now for the cheese report. Below is the list of cheeses I have tried.

Les Fromages de France
  • Babybel (encased in red wax)
  • Vache qui Rit (smiling cow, cream of gruyere)
  • Kiri (soft white cheese)
  • St. Agur (blue cheese, but soft and mild)
  • Reblochon
  • Brie
  • Compte
  • Emmental (French version of Swiss cheese)
  • Chevre frais
  • Chevre vieille: too strong and smelly
  • Camembert
  • Merzer: too strong and smelly
  • Gouda
  • Gruyere
  • Chausee aux Moines: boring
  • Cousteron: boring
  • Morbier
  • Bougon: boring
  • Crottin de Chevre
  • Crottin de Chavignol: though this is the original Crottin, other versions taste the same
  • Brouere
  • Mimolette
  • Edam
  • Cantal
  • Saint Nectaire
  • Fromage pur chevre: boring
I will continue to sample and report every few months.

ESPN America carries the NCAA March Madness via a license with CBS, so I am enjoying the season of hoops: GO BIG BLUE!

Speaking of "enjoying", my French teacher told me, after bid her adieu with "Enjoy your weekend", said they had no such phrase in French (they say to "pass through a good weekend"), and they do not have the verb "to enjoy", so we made one up. For you francophiles, the new word is:

infinitive: enjoyer, passe' compose': enjoye'

j'enjoie
tu enjoies
on/il/elle enjoie
nous enjoyons
vous enjoyez
ils/elles enjoient

Enjoyez le voyage!

Mark




No comments:

Post a Comment