Saturday, July 16, 2011

Quatre Cent Dix Sept Jours a Sceaux (417 Days in Sceaux)

This was a busy week, but a short week as well. During this past week, the French celebrated their National Celebration, or, as they more commonly referred to as "Quartoze Juillet" (14th of July), just as we more commonly referred to Independence Day as "Fourth of July". We got the day off at the office, and 80% of the office took the next day off as well. There were only a few of us on the fifteenth of July, and most of us made plans to get out early.

A colleague from work joined me for the eve of the fourteenth of July, which is often celebrated in the smaller villages around Paris, since Paris plays host to the Big Event. Cheese, bread, saucisson sec (dried sausage, a delicacy in these parts), and samplings of the fruits of the South made for a pleasant, though late, evening.

On Friday, the fifteenth of July, I left work early to catch the Eurostar to London. I've mentioned previously problems that have developed in my running. I made all the adjustments I could make, but I recognized I needed expert help. Fortunately, there is a certified ChiRunning instructor in London (unfortunately, there is not one in the whole of France). I contacted the instructor, and she was available for private coaching today. We met at Regents Park in London, not far from the Eurostar station, and we had typical English weather: it rained on us the entire time. Nonetheless, we went through all the elements of ChiRunning, she videotaped while I ran, we analyzed the tape, and we identified a couple of flaws in my technique. Now of course, it is up to me to put what I've learned to practice, and hopefully I will be back to pain-free running in no time.

I leave for Malaysia and Australia on Monday, my first trip to that part of the world. While I know I will enjoy the non-business parts of the journey, I also know that the close of this trip brings me closer to Houston.

A bientot,

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment